A couple of months ago Nicki Anderson, a health and fitness guru, contacted me to guest post on At350Degrees. She owned and operated the award-winning Reality Fitness, Inc. Personal Training studio, has authored four health and motivational books (Nicki Anderson’s Single Step Weight Loss and 101 Ways to Motivate Your Clients and Increase Retention), and is a health and fitness contributor to websites, magazines, and newspapers. She’s found delicious guilt-free summer snacks using Stevia–my favorite so far, Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies!
During the summer months we often seek out lighter fare seeking more flavor and fewer calories. After all, one must maintain that bathing suit ready body. With the rising popularity of the no-cal sweetener Stevia, “free” summer treats may be just what you’re looking for! Given that Stevia contains the sweetness without the calories, there are some great summer recipes that offer all the sweet goodness without the guilt. Do keep in mind that Stevia can be found in packets, drops or bulk. Recipes call for different variations. Invite some friends over and enjoy this guilt-free summer treat!
- 1 cup Apples, diced & skin on
- 2 tablespoons unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened fat free Greek Yogurt
- 1/4 cup Sweet Potato Purée
- 1/2 cup fat free Milk
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons crunchy Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
- 2 cups Oat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Vanilla Stevia Drops to taste (I used a 3/4 full dropper)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the middle. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a medium non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add apples, cinnamon and salt, stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5-8 minutes until apples soften. Transfer mixture to heat proof bowl to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together yogurt, sweet potato purée, milk, egg and almond butter. In a separate bowl whisk together oat flour and baking powder. Combine the yogurt mixture, flour, apples and vanilla stevia. Drop heaping tablespoons of cookie dough onto the baking sheet. Bake about 18 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown. Let cookies cool on racks.
For more information about Stevia, visit Better Stevia™ Organic – 35 Packets – NOW Foods Better Stevia.